October 9, 2010

It's in the Bag!

I know I'll do some shopping in Germany - who am I kidding - I'll do lots of shopping!  I need an extra carry-on bag.  I have a large purse for my laptop, I-pad, camera, etc.  I looked at a few stores for a tote and then I thought to myself, why am I buying one - make it instead.  18x8x3 seemed like a good size - not too large - just right.


 The process:

canvas with layer of gesso and acrylic paints

additional acrylic paint added with hand carved stamp

painted canvas strip to be used for handle straps

 In the same manner as the thank you card made last week, a shape for the face was roughly painted in.

finished face

2" on the sides folded; top stitched to add definition to the tote

handles (lined with my hand dyed fabric), turned right side out

handles basted in position; side and bottom seams sewn together.  A lining (my hand dyed fabric) for the bag was made, stitched to the top seam of bag (right sides together) leaving an opening in the bottom seam of lining to turn the bag right side out.  The top seam was then top stitched.

Finished bag (side A)

Finished bag (side B) 
The bag has two sides, of course!  

Valcro was sewn inside the bag as a finishing touch.  This was fun to make.  It was necessary to use a leather needle to sew through this heavy weight canvas and pima cotton lining.   I know I'll use this bag a lot on my trip to Germany.

Please visit Pink Saturday for more inspiration.  

No comments: