June 26, 2010

Supporting the Arts

Whenever I travel, I like to seek out local artists.  My collection of original art is growing.  It's not always necessary to spend the big bucks either (although I have dropped a lot of money on some purchases!)

Last weekend I flew to Chicago for my granddaughter, Samantha's high school graduation.  Sam and I took the train downtown and explored the Art Institute of Chicago, which is fabulous.  After lunch, we wandered over to the Chicago Cultural Center and took a look see at "Project Onward."  We had our portraits done by two of the Project Onward artists.
Portrait by David Holt

Portrait by "Chuckie" Johnson

This is an affordable and fun way to support the arts.  Color portraits are $10; black and white $5 - such a deal!  The next time you find yourself in the Windy City, check it out.  

June 19, 2010

"Queen Anne's Lace" - A Mixed Media Quilt

This little mixed media quilt (19W x 16L) was constructed using silk, felt and paper.

Dictionary pages and tissue paper were painted, stamped and/or inkjet printed.  Machine embroidery enhanced the green silk stems.  The flower buds are made of "zapped" Kunin felt.  The borders are stamped silk.  Hand and machine quilted.

Queen Anne's Lace detail

It's fun and interesting to mix it up a little!

Check out the other  Pink Saturday blog posts - you find lots of interesting things there!

June 12, 2010

A Project Using Image Transfer

I've been experimenting with image transfer techniques - now what do I do with all these images?  
I chose to display photos taken on trips I made to Europe over the last few years.  
Materials Used:

3x3 and 2.5 x 3 canvas frames
18x5 wooden trays
French dictionary pages
vintage fabric tape measure
rubber stamp
found objects

How I did it:

wooden trays, backside of canvas frames
front side of canvas frames one coat of gesso
experimenting with placement on trays
wooden tray primed; dictionary pages adhered with matte medium
 tray painted gold; papers "aged" with water color, rubber stamped
measuring tape adhered to back side of canvas frame
  (dictionary papers were inserted into the frame later)
Different image transfer techniques were used.  
flowers transferred with DASS SuperSauce and DASS transfer film; doors transferred with Lazertran turpentine method
hardware found on Ebay; images transferred using DASS method
button sewn to canvas frame; images transferred using Lazertran turpentine method
adhere frames and found objects using E-6000

This was a fun project.  I think it's a really cool way to display the photos.  What do you think?

Check out the other  Pink Saturday blog posts - you find lots of interesting things there!

June 5, 2010


I have tons of my own hand-dyed fabric.  It's fun to make not only quilts but dolls using this unique cloth.
"Sprite" (2010)

Sprite's head, hands and feet are needle sculpted then painted; her body and legs are made from cotton fabric which I dyed using a deconstructed screen printing method and MX reactive dyes.  Hair made from knitted tubing; wings of a metal-like paper cut to shape and enhanced with dimensional paint.  The little boobies are made of felted wool; arms from carpenter ruler.  The flowers are made of polymer clay.  She sits atop a seat made from cardboard tubing and cereal box, coated with acrylic ceramic tile adhesive and finished with gold paint.

I'm happy to say that "Sprite" sold at her first public outing a couple of weeks ago.  I know she found a happy home.

Thanks for visiting my Pink Saturday blog!