July 27, 2020

First Things First...

I'm always looking for something to keep me occupied during COVID-19!  I love making journals and decided to challenge myself to make one out of whatever was hiding in my studio closet.  

I haven't eaten oatmeal for quite some time.  A few years ago though I started out EVERY day with a bowl.  I would buy jumbo size boxes of Quaker Oats at Costco.  The cardboard is very sturdy.  I saved the boxes thinking that I would use them one day - a brilliant idea for a substrate that can withstand plenty of abuse in my art-making.  I really have no direction at the moment - just letting it happen!

the boxes

cut to size (7x6.25)

Sand down the printed side of cardboard

decide on placement of holes and punch out - these will be used for the binding

after adding two layers of gesso on both sides of the "pages" -
 allow to thoroughly dry then weigh down with bricks to flatten

add several layers of acrylic paint on both sides in relatively neutral colors - allow to dry

The theme is "Home is Where the Art is" - this scrap cardboard will adorn the front cover

front cover

front cover complete (maybe...) - the real fun begins on the inside - this will take a while but with the pandemic keeping me indoors so much, I have plenty of time



1 comment:

Jeanie said...

You are brilliant and I love the step-outs!