December 4, 2010

It's a Wrap!

I love a challenge.  I bought some neat little gifts for friends at a local art fair this past weekend.  My challenge was to wrap these little beauties artistically.  I know, I know - I could buy a bag, box, whatever.   Making things - that's my bag (excuse the pun) - since I hadn't made the gift, it seemed only fitting I make the box it was presented in - it's all about presentation, right?!

I drew a box/bag on paper (several times) - finally got it right - huge sigh of relief!!

Method to my madness:

 Two colors of water soluble oil sticks were randomly drawn on ordinary card stock paper - brushed with water using foam brush.


 Once dry, added squiggly lines with gold Krylon pen.


Scanned the box/bag drawing and printed on the back side of beautifully painted card stock, then cut it out.


 I have a huge collection of tools that I use once in a blue moon.  Today I used a bone folder to score the fold lines and Japanese punch - to punch holes (of course!!)


Before the box was assembled, a decorative edge was cut on the front flap - another wonderful tool in my arsenal.  The one seam was adhered using double-sided tape.  Holes punched on top front, back and front flap for ribbon tie. (Photo taken before holes punched into front flap.)

I made two boxes.  I "goofed" on the first one (left) because the seam ended up on the front.  Not to worry - mistakes happen.  I simply added some dimensional paint and now it looks intentional - cool huh?!   I altered my pattern - the second box (right) is what I had in mind in the beginning - the seam in the back.


You may ask yourself "Was it worth all the trouble?" - to me, yes it was!

For more inspiration, visit Pink Saturday.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Pat ~ Now that is precious ... so much more appreciated, I am sure.

Pop by for our (3) giveaways ~
Have a beautiful winter day ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Wow! So cute! You're a very talented artist!
I'm the newest follower of your lovely blog and would be delighted to have you follow me back!
Happy PS!
tammy@ www.beatricebanks.blogspot.com

Jan Hennings said...

These turned out amazing!

Donnie said...

I'm sure they'll treasure the gift wrap as well as the gift. Lovely.

Nancy said...

Excellent! I love making boxes, bags and envelopes.

I'm still visiting around for Pink Saturday. Have a wonderful week.