February 19, 2022

"She's NOT Unfinished - She's Just Getting Started!"

My 23-year-old granddaughter, Emily, modeled outfits in a retro fashion show last weekend. 

I loved the photo my daughter sent me so much, I had to paint it.  

My plan was to not paint the details of the outfit - just keep the outline.  I posed that possibility to my friends for their opinions.  One friend, Suzanne Sanger, opined "just the outline of the dress makes it far more unique and intriguing. I start imagining messages behind that decision. It makes me think. Something like, clothes may make the woman, but it’s the woman inside the clothes who really matters. Hence we see only her because the clothes are irrelevant."  Suzanne was able to articulate what I was thinking perfectly! Once it’s dry and sealed (oil paints), I’ll frame it and send it to Emily. 

original photo

draft drawing
(It was blind luck that the texture I created in the background followed the flow of the outfit.)

completed work (9x12 mixed media)
"Emily - She's NOT Unfinished - She's Just Getting Started!"

1 comment:

ashok said...

She's a stunning model..